Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Welcome to the Celtic's Guide to Samhain Cleaning (#CGSC2015)

Introduction

This challenge is not being set to exclude anyone. Though my theme is autumn and Samhain cleaning, there are so many ways those from any faith can participate, Pagan or Hindi, Pastafarian or Christian, Muslim, Jew or Buddhist, you are all welcome to join in the party! And if you are in the Southern hemisphere of this great big beautiful world of ours, your springtime Beltane cleaning is also welcome, xx.

October 31st is the 304th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 61 days remaining until the end of the calendar year. Samhain, Hallowe'en, Christian Feast Day, Winter's Eve, Allantide, Day of the Dead, by any other name would smell just as pumkiny. Call it what you like, all over the world this day holds some rather auspicious observances and nothing better than a celebration to get the home all spiffy!

On the Celtic Wheel of the Year, Samhain is the end of the harvest and the beginning of winter. For many it is our Holy day, when the veil between the living and dead is at the thinnest and we honour our ancestors. While I am certain my ancestors are well aware of the disaster that is our home right now I'll be damned if I want to invite them to a party where they are the guests of honour while it looks like this! It would seem I'm not alone in this feeling, or at the very least, some of us simply need a kick in the bum! Well, I have my steel-toed boots at the ready, so be prepared!

I will not go into explaining Samhain (pronounced SAH-win, SOW-in or s'aun), or the history of it here. We'll save that for the big day itself, or not, since there is already so much information out there who am I to reinvent the wheel? The purpose of the next two weeks is to release, clean and cleanse our home (and a little bit of ourselves in the process), to clear out all that is old and be ready to bring in the new. From October 16th to October 30th I will set out a series of daily tasks, always posted the evening before (based on MDT). How each of you approaches these tasks is entirely up to you.

I recognise that we all have different homes, size, condition, decor, perception, location - urban or rural, none are the same. We each have different levels of abilities as well: Some will get up and be all done before their morning coffee and jog; some will do little bits throughout the day, resting as needed or fitting into already busy schedules, and some of us are serious night owls, burning the midnight oil. Get as detailed or as basic as fits your needs and wants right now, but no matter what there is no wrong way to approach the challenge, your how is as unique as you are.

First order of business is supplies, I'll list them here for you. Here is the pdf checklist you can print out or upload to your tablet. So, boys and girls, let's get this party started!

Supplies
  • You and your home ;)
  • An attitude of gratitude.
  • Camera or smart phone
  • Garbage & recycle bags 
  • Empty boxes
  • Bucket
  • Cleaning rags and dusting cloths 
  • Rubber gloves
  • Scrubbing sponge 
  • Broom & mop
  • Vacuum
  • Dawn dish soap
  • Olive oil
  • Vinegar
  • Lemon juice 
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Borax
  • Baking soda
  • Essential oils (your favourites)
  • Dried Herbs
  • Selenite and tourmaline crystals
  • Black & white candles
Love & light,
~Síonaínn **  ƸӜƷ  **

Helpful links: An Ceilteach Croí, The Facebook Event, my Instagram, my Twitter (Please use #cgsc2015 if you post publicly so I can find you!)

Addendum: I literally came up with this idea Monday so my plans are being created on-the-fly, as they say. I am doing each day's tasks only 2 days before you are so the supply list will most likely be added to as we go. You are my guinea pigs you could say, any and all comments, suggestions, kudos, etc. as we do this will be most appreciated :).

2 comments:

  1. Today I have started cleaning and cleansing the energy in my bedroom. Because that is as good a place to start as any. Not to mention I read the article about bedmites!
    looking forward to this and giving thanks for gorgeous Spring weather down here in NZ!
    PS I did all of my Self Love Immersion on the fly too! Nothing like a deadline to get us off our arses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome way to start Caitlin and what is more important than our bedroom being a safe haven when we're starting and ending our day :). I do believe I'll follow your lead on that one!

      Delete